Untitled Document
Untitled Document


 

Church 

The founding of French speaking parishes in the course of the 19th century reflects the expansion of the francophone population:

1767 - Paroisse de L'Assomption
1802 - St-Pierre (Rivière La Tranche)
- St-Jean-Baptiste (Amherstburg)
1834 - St-Simon et St-Jude (Belle Rivière)
1851 - Immaculée Conception (Pain Court)
1855 - St-François-Xavier (Tilbury)
1856 - St-Alphonse (Windsor)
1859 - Ste-Anne (Tecumseh)
1864 - St-Joseph (Rivière-aux-Canards)
1867 - Paroisse de l'Annonciation (Pointe-aux-Roches)
1880 - St-Clément (McGregor)
1881 - St-Joachim
1884 - Notre-Dame du Lac (Sandwich East)
1886 - St-Philippe (Grande Pointe)

This expansion continues in the 20th century:

1900 - Très Saint Rédempteur (Staples)
1921 - Sacré Coeur (LaSalle)
1928 - Ste-Thérèse (Windsor)
1934 - St-Charles (Stevenson)
1951 - Notre-Dame de Lourdes (Comber)
1955 - St-William (Emeryville)
1958 - St-Jérome (Windsor)

The "Petit St. Jean Baptiste", Albert Leboeuf, Belle Rivière, c.1910, From "Paroisse St. Simon et St. Jude, Belle Rivière, 150e anniversaire", P8455

St. Simon and St. Jude Church, Belle Rivière, before 1919, Courtesy of the Belle River Public Library, P8456

St. Joachim's Church, 1891, Courtesy of Elmira Sylvestre, P8457 additional text

First Communion, St. François Xavier Church, Tilbury, c.1945, Courtesy of Maxine Gardiner, Tilbury Public Library, P8458
additional text

3rd Immaculate Conception Church, Pain Court, c.1922, Courtesy of Amédée Emery, P8459 additional text

1st church in Pointe-aux-Roches before 1905, From "Paroisse de l' Annonciation 1867 - 1967", P8460
additional text